Monday, May 4, 2015

Pattern Review: Bow Tie Leggings by Bella Sunshine

Bow Tie Leggings by Bella Sunshine
 a review by Amanda of Sew Pandi



“Why sew when you can buy ready made for less than the cost of fabric?” 

This was how I felt about making my daughter knit pants. I can buy her a pair of knit pants for $5, and the knees will wear out before she has outgrown them.  I would make her dresses, even some tops, but not pants.

I recently purchased Bella Sunshine’s Bow Tie Leggings to make my daughter some pants and leggings to match the shirts I am sewing up for her, since matching fabrics to ready-to-wear pants can be a challenge and I wanted a homogenous look.

This pattern is so USEFUL! Not only is it Leggings and Slim Fit Knit Pants, but each one comes in 4 lengths: Mini Shorts, Knee Length Shorts, Capris, and Full Length. So over the 11 sizes offered, in the 2 fits, and 4 lengths you are actually purchasing 88 different garment patterns.

I made my 5 year old the size 5 in both styles, full length, and found the fit was spot on for her. These really are fast to sew up, I made both pairs in a single afternoon on my sewing machine. I bet it would be even quicker if you used a serger.

pants and leggings
The fit difference is visible on the body as well as when laid flat on the table.  Here the Leggings are laid on top of the Pants. You can see the length and rise is the same.

Bella Sunshine  compare
The bow is a delightful addition to the leggings. I didn’t put it on these pairs, but have put it on a pair of Knee Length Pants, choosing to hand sew the detail on. My daughter was a bit disappointed that these were not pockets!
bow tie shorts detail

Pattern instructions are clearly laid out and the pieces are smoothly nested with layers so you can turn off the layers you do not need to save ink when you print.

My pants and leggins are made from the same lilac cotton interlock, sewn with a stretch stitch and walking foot on my sewing machine. You can see from the pictures that my girl has a little bit of grow room, I always make the next size up when children fall between sizes on charts, as I have found I get more use out of the clothes that way.

I am so pleased to have a knit pants, leggings, shorts pattern that will get me through several more years of dressing my daughter and all seasons. She has already requested some shorts!

Top is the Girl's Princess Peplum from Dandelions n' Dungarees 

Spring has come

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

About Amanda: Amanda is the Designer behind Sew Pandi and specializes in plush designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!! So comment away!