Thursday, August 6, 2015

Pattern Review: Kathryn Top & Dress by Itch to Stitch

Hello! I am Jess, the designer behind Gracious Threads. While I don't do much designing for women, I enjoy sewing for myself and I am pleased to have the opportunity to review the Kathryn Top & Dress by Itch To Stitch.

35kathryn-14-2

I chose to sew up a top, but the pattern also includes a dress. It features a scoop neckline with 6 pleats. The neckline is stabilized with a woven facing, so you don't have to worry about the neckline stretching out as you wear it. I am picky about the height of my neckline, and found this pattern to be a perfect balance between not showing unwanted cleavage and not being too frumpy. The short sleeves are cut on (no separate pattern piece) and are a flattering length.

35kathryn-10   

The pattern includes a very large size range (00-20, a 31"-46" bust). I sewed up a size 14. The only modification I made was to add 1" above the empire waist and 1" below. This is a normal modification for me since I am 5'9" with a very long torso (the pattern is drafted for 5'6"). I like how the top is fitted without being too tight (forgive the post baby tummy, I have a 6 week old newborn!). The only change I would make is to use a bit of a heavier knit; the very lightweight jersey I choose draped a little more than I liked for this pattern. I paired the Kathryn with some dark wash boot leg jeans, black heels, and a fun red purse for an evening out at a baby shower.

35kathryn-4

I would rate this pattern as a beginner/intermediate level. The instructions are very clear, but they do assume a bit of experience in working with knit fabrics. Each step features a detailed illustration. The pattern includes cutting layout diagrams, a detailed size chart (with finished measurements), and information on how to blend sizes for a customized fit. I encourage you to check out the rest of Kennis' patterns at Itch to Stitch!

2 comments:

  1. those pleats are too cute! very flattering top. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing Jess!! I was still hiding behind my diaper bag at six weeks - lol! I love the look of this top - it's so pretty and feminine without being too fussy.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! So comment away!