Friday, December 18, 2015

Designer Introduction - Duck Butt Designs


 It's a wonderful thing to be able to ask yourself "what do I want to be when I grow up" over and over again. Ten years ago I got to reinvent myself and go back to school to get my Master's Degree in Elementary Education. It was a wild ride and I loved every minute of it, but when I got pregnant with my first child my husband and I made the decision for me to stay at home with the boys.
We also made the decision to cloth diaper.
Also, I finally dug the sewing machine back out of the closet.
And since he slept well (at least during the day), I needed a hobby.

So a reinvention was necessary, and Duck Butt Diapers was born. And quickly died. I know plenty of women who had successful business churning out an abundance of beautiful cloth diapers with perfect snaps. I quickly learned that would never be me. For one, I hated placing snaps. For another, I was hopelessly slow.

Long story short, I started making clothing, I bought a FH of very expensive fabric, wanted to do something special, designed the Treasure Pocket Tee, and the rest is history. Drop the diapers, rebrand as Duck Butt Designs, and I get to keep my monogrammed towels. Ok it's a little more involved than that. Though I knew how to draft patterns for myself, there was a lot of baptism by fire. For anyone who doesn't know what goes in to releasing PDF patterns, there's drafting, testing, then grading, testing, tweaking, testing, writing instructions, photographing the process, proofing, editing, and finally releasing.

It's not for the faint of heart, and it definitely tested me. But I will say that once you start, pattern making is addictive. Seeing people make beautiful creations based on an idea that started in your head is a rush - and I never stop getting a kick out of it.

I think the hallmarks of my designs are 1) pockets and 2) gender neutrality. Being the mom of two boys, I always sigh when I see beautiful patterns with skirts and frills. Of course I LOVE being the mother of two boys, but I want them to have cute stuff, too! With lots of options for color and good pockets for storing treasures.

If you would like to join in the #dbdlove and see what we're up to, come on over to Duck Butt Designs Sew and Chat on Facebook!

As always, happy sewing!
Katie Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!! So comment away!