Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Honeyflower Dress and Tunic Pattern

Hi, my name is Rachel and I sew over at Once Upon a Sewing Machine for myself and my two littles. I recently had the opportunity to review the Honeyflower dress and tunic pattern by Aila and Frankie patterns. I browsed inspiration pictures of this dress in many light pretty patterns. We've entered the heart of the winter here so I went a little different direction. I made up a paired down version of the Honeyflower dress for layering this winter and perfect to wear under a sweater in the Spring in denim. The Honeyflower dress PDF dress pattern
 I mixed some stashed heart denim for the bodice and the leftover denim from a pair of Birkins jeans I made recently for the skirt. The dress features a pretty full skirt which the denim gives a fun effect with. While it would be light and great for spinning in a light fabric it gives a big full effect in a thicker fabric, no petticoat needed! The entire dress is lined so there are no exposed internal seams. This is a huge bonus for my picky preschooler. I used a really soft flowered fabric to line the skirt making this really comfortable to wear. The Honeyflower dress PDF dress pattern
 The back of the dress is gathered with elastic. Giving you a shirred effect without the shirring. I upsized slightly since she'll typically be wearing a shirt under this for the next few months. The Honeyflower dress PDF dress pattern
The dress itself goes together very quickly. The pattern includes pattern pieces for the bodice and a cut chart with no pattern pieces for straps, skirt, and optional ruffle and tulle. Which means it took me longer to cut the dress than sew it! I'm a painfully slow rectangle cutter. The upsized is there is no taping and only a few pages of printing.The Honeyflower dress PDF dress pattern
 She loves the dress, which is saying a lot for the style since blue denim was a big risk to sew for her. I think this is a great beginner pattern. You can dress it up by adding the tulle to the hem and the ruffle to the front or do a quick sew like I chose. Either way you get a really clean finish dress out of your stashed wovens without having to muck with buttons and zippers. With a recent growth spurt I have a big list of sewing that needs to be done for this little.This was a great project to get me started. Happy sewing, Rachel Pattern: The Honeyflower dress  Fabric: Stashed denim both from Jo-Ann Fabric orginally  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!! So comment away!