Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Gracious Threads Swim & Surf Shorts for women

Hello! My name is Jess and I blog and design at www.graciousthreads.ca

Posting on the Bettie's blog is a great opportunity for me to reflect on my journey as a pattern designer. Like many of the sewists that purchase my patterns, I am self taught. I've taken online courses, searched the web into the wee hours of the morning, and borrowed textbooks from my local university library. I've had as many failures as successes, but have learned from each of them.


A few weeks ago, I released my first women's pattern: the Swim & Surf Shorts. While in many ways this was a first, it was also a culmination of all the study and practice I'd undertaken up to this point. I couldn't have done it without the support of other Bettie designers. They gave me practical tips (drafting a crotch curve is not easy!) as well as encouragement.


So, if you've read this far, I'd like to encourage you...encourage you to keep trying new things...do things that seem hard...look back at how far you've come.


I'd like to leave you with a few pictures of my pattern. The Swim & Surf Shorts have three different lengths ('swim', 'run', and 'surf') and the curved hem is finished with bias tape. The wide waistband has three rows of elastic. My favourite part of these shorts in the brief style bottoms sewn inside; they are perfect for swimming or working out.




I would love for you to come on over to my site and check out my patterns!


1 comment:

We love comments!! So comment away!